Jul18

6 Comments

After seeing a post online recently about creating a pie chart for of one’s ancestry, I thought it might be fun to create a spreadsheet that could calculate someone’s ancestry percentages by country and create a set of pie charts that mimics a standard ancestor chart.

I’ve created an Excel 2007 spreadsheet that does just that. It may still need some tweaking, but I like the cleaner look of my latest version better than the previous one. (I found that including names above all of the charts made it too congested and hard to read.)

Ancestry Pie: Excel sheet capture
All one has to to in this spreadsheet is enter a their family’s names, an applicable list of ancestral countries and then the ancestry percentages for each GG-Grandparent. (An example is at left.)

After entering the GG-Grandparent’s ancestry, everyone else’s is calculated from those and a group of pie charts is created on a separate sheet.

Ancestry Pie: Charts
I welcome any ideas and suggestions for improvement – I can’t promise any support, especially if it is used with versions of Excel older than 2007, but I’ll do my best to take a look.

Also included in the spreadsheet is a separate worksheet with additional notes and some slightly more detailed info on how to enter your data. (If anyone knows how to get Excel NOT to put data labels for 0.00% data without actually deleting the label, please tell me!)

It can be downloaded from my Downloads page, or directly via this link.

Ancestry Pie: Parent & Child Sheet
Note: I updated the Excel spreadsheet on 11 Oct 2011 to with the following:

• An additional country column for families with up to 10 different ancestral countries
  • Added a 3rd sheet that shows just the pie charts for Parents and Child, all with percentage labels
  • Cleaned up some more formatting
Be Sociable, Share!

6 Comments

Comment by CeCe Moore — November 28, 2012 @ 2:16 am

Hi John,
    I tried downloading this Excel spreadsheet to possibly use on my blog (with due credit, of course), but I couldn’t change the country names. Would it be possible for you to tell me how I can make it calculate for Finland, Norway and England? Thanks!

Comment by John — November 28, 2012 @ 11:54 am

Hello Cece,

The problem was that I had a column to the right of the main names sheet where the Country names could be edited. That was kind of a clunky way of doing it and was a holdover from an earlier version.

To make it easier, I’ve updated the spreadsheet so you can just edit the column headings in the main page – makes much more sense that way.

I also corrected a few issues with the chart pages. You can download the new version using the same links in the post.

There is some bugginess with Excel’s handling of pie chart styles – If you notice anything country colors changing from pie to pie, Excel sometimes likes to revert to default colors.

I’ve tried to work around the issue by using the same exact pie chart over and over and then manually changing the source data in each, but Excel keeps playing whack a mole and reverting things like font names and sizes too. If you notice anything particularly off, let me know and I’ll get out my hammer again!

Thanks in advance for sharing it on your blog – glad it has been helpful!

By the way, for anyone reading this: I have protected the individual sheets in the Excel spreadsheet to avoid people (any myself) making any changes that affect the charts and formulas. But, I have not password protected them, so anyone who has Excel skill and would like to try changing anything can do so.

To Unprotect a sheet in the more recent versions of Excel, click on the “Review” tab at top then click “Unprotect Sheet”.

Comment by John — August 30, 2013 @ 11:11 am

Thanks to Sue Griffith for letting me know about some errors she found in the formulas in this chart – I hope to take a look at them soon.

For now, check out her blog post with a tweaked version of the charts – looks great!

Comment by Merrie Richards — August 30, 2013 @ 8:51 pm

Is there a way to configure the spreadsheet adding in 3rd great-grandparents? Thanks

Comment by John — August 30, 2013 @ 9:57 pm

Hi Merrie,

It is certainly possible to expand the sheet out to 3rd great-grandparents, but would take fair amount of time to reconfigure and I am sorry to say I don’t have time to do so.

In general, for anyone who wants to try:

You’d have to add 32 more rows at the top and bottom to cover both the maternal and paternal sides, then set formulas for the 2x-grandparents to use the 3x-grandparents’ percentages to calculate and pass down to the nearer generations.

Also, I’d have to assume if you want to go back that far that you have more nationalities to include than the 10 there are now, so you’d have to add some number of columns for more countries. Then the real bear of the job: adding 32 more pie charts.

Excel doesn’t make that last one easy at all since it doesn’t support painting styles in charts. That means the best way to get all the charts to use the same colors consistently is to copy and paste the same one over and over, then place them where you want them. Finally, you have to take the time to change the source data for each chart to pull from the right spots…

Comment by Merrie Richards — August 30, 2013 @ 11:22 pm

I appreciate the time and effort you spent creating the spreadsheet as well as sharing it with those of us who are also interested in our heritage.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL